Friday 15 April 2016

Lusaka Central Prison Service Supports Music



Indie Zed Urban Music Blog recently spoke to Abdulai Masisani AKA Abdul 148. Abdulai is a young man of Lozi decent, in his early twenties currently serving a 10 year term in the Lusaka Central Prison Service popularly known as Chimbokaila for aggravated robbery.

Abdulai is part of a crew called LUCEPART which stands of Lusaka Central Prison Arts, a HipHop crew from the correctional facility itself currently working hand in hand with the government sensitizing the youth on vices such as Drug Abuse, Alcohol Abuse, Violence, Theft etc.

"My music is about change and reformation says Abdulai" Says Abdulai, "My time here has made me rethink a lot of the choices i made on the outside, now i want to teach my fellow youths to stay away from the vices that plague our society, I believe music is a powerful tool for reaching out to the youth and it makes me happy to know that my music will help change lives" He says, '' We've got interesting music programs here that we're encouraged to pursue and i'd like to that the government for that, we feature on a christian show on a local TV station which is a great platform for many artists here in the prison, we have many groups including Church Choirs, Reggae Bands, HipHop groups and the Dunka genres too have artists representing them here" He further adds as an Officer stands nearby.

IZUMB: Why 148?

Abdullai: 148 is my case number, and it sort of stands as a representation of the day my life changed. Its a reminder of my duties and responsibilities to my fellow youths, when i was on the outside I used to make crazy music you know, like the Lil Waynes of this world, but now my music is different and has a deeper meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment